When the team that’s brought us Terttulia, Grandmama’s Café and the super-successful watering hole Please Don’t Tell introduces a new concept, you know it’s going to be damned good. And that’s exactly what MRP Modern Asian Bistro is. The location may be off the regular course for most but the place has more more than one ace up its sleeve—five, at the very least.
1. Drinking games! While all home parties include multiple shots, hookahs and even orders of biryani and mixers, the unlikely heroes are the board games. All parties include a round of either drunk Jenga or Pictionary or a let’s-sober-down round of Taboo. But imagine a place where you can actually play drinking games. Each table has instructions and rule books for various games you can play here—beer pong, flip cup and giant jenga.
2. “Oktobeerfest” festivities at MRP rates! Because who doesn’t love a good deal on imported beers—Asahi, Hoegaarden, Brody’s, Beverley, Oranjeboom (and more)—paired with beer-inspired dishes. Time to get chugging! Visit by October!
3. It’s affordable! While MRP stands for My Regular Place, the otherwise well-known abbreviation of MRP is fast gaining momentum. Why? Because not just the fare but also the bar offerings are economically priced.
4. Modern cuisine: Baos, dim sums and innovative combinations are the highlights of the contemporary East-Asian fare served here. The Caesar salad is combined with a Korean Gochujang dressing, the Patrani Fish with ramen, DIY Prawn & Fish Fajitas. While Wheat Protein bao, stuffed with cilantro, cucumber, pickled daikon and kungpao sauce, is served with tapioca chips and the jalapeño-mayo based Bang Bang sauce.
5. Modern cocktails: Pair the fare with the Orient Express, a concoction of vodka, orange juice and basil and lemongrass syrup, and (yes, and) the Molecular DSLR, a vodka, litchi and passion fruit cocktail that’s served in a DSLR-shaped glass! We love that even imported spirits may be bought at MRP rates.
6. The décor, the draw: Anjali Mody and Prashant Kanyalkar have given this place a retro chic spin along with board game graffiti on one wall and living walls in the outdoor area. It may not directly correlate to the contemporary East-Asian menu yet blends it very easily. But what makes it as popular is that MRP, which is located in Hotel Midtown Pritam, is open till 3am! What are you waiting for?
How to Get There:
MRP Modern Asian Bistro
Where: 20, Dharamputra, Pritam Estate, Dadar East, Mumbai
Contact: 022 33126266 (Table booking recommended)
Timings: Mon – Thu 12 Noon to 3:30 PM, 6 PM to 1:30 AM | Fri – Sat 12 Noon to 3:30 PM, 6 PM to 3 AM | Sun 12 Noon to 1:30 AM
Cost: ₹1,300 for two people (VAT & service charges extra)